Coconut Milk Chocolate Ice Cream

So I have been doing a little experimenting with my ice cream maker and I thought I would share what I have come up with so far. Here it goes! Melt your favorite dark chocolate (I used 60%) in a sauce pan into 1 can of coconut milk (I have used both Thai Kitchen or Chaokoh and it turned out great). Stir really well while chocolate is melting and remove from heat immediately. Allow it to cool down for a few minutes then pour into the ice cream maker. Add 1 big tsp. of vanilla and let the ice cream maker do its magic! Mine took about 20 minutes to get to a nice thick soft serve ice cream consistency. Serve and enjoy! Honestly it is that simple! Your kids will really enjoy helping and watching the ice cream maker go! Here are some pictures of our Coconut Milk ice cream creation night! Next time I promise to actually take a picture of it in the bowl before we eat it! :)

This entry was posted in Tasty Treats and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Coconut Milk Chocolate Ice Cream

1. Kat says:

If only I had an ice cream maker :) This looks amazing, I’ll be sure to share it around!

2. Katrina says:

How much chocolate did you use with the can of coconut milk? Sounds yummy!

3. Erka Cantwell says:

This sounds amazing! How much chocolate did you use?

4. Justin says:

Thanks for this recipe. We just got an ice cream maker at a garage sale for $3. Time to put it to work.

5. Dawn says:

That looks delicious. I should make it real quick and serve it up to the neighborhood kids (they are all gathered around the ice cream truck right now). Thanks for the recipe!

6. Diana says:

That looks awesome! It seems like that would make an incredibly small amount of ice cream, though – did you double/triple/quadruple it?

• admin says:

Hi Diana,
      You can….I just used the one can of coconut milk and it made the perfect amount for my small family of 3!

7. Marci says:

What kind/brand of ice cream maker do you use?
    Looking forward to meeting you in Clackamas, OR!
    Thank you!

8. Jessica says:

Looks delicious!! What kind of chocolate did you use? I’ve found a few sweetened with beet sugar and agave. I have a cane sugar sensitivity. I thought sweeteners were a no-no in a paleo lifestyle?

• admin says:

Hi Jessica,
      I used a ghirardelli dark chocolate. I am sure it would be great with any. As for sweeteners, you are correct, this is a “treat” and not something that I would consume on a daily basis. And in my opinion a much better option than ice cream.

• Paula says:

I bet you could even use unsweetened baking chocolate and add your own choice of sweetener. Agave, stevia…I’ve been looking into Yacon syrup. Probably wouldn’t take much.

9. Julie says:

Can you freeze the ice cream and eat it at a later date or do you have to eat it right out of the ice cream maker?

• admin says:

Hi Julie,
      It is best right out of the ice cream maker! If you do freeze it you will need to take it out a few minutes before to soften.
      chrissy

10. LOVE this idea! Can’t wait to try it out, it sounds yummy enough to even make one for me and add some espresso/coffee to the mixture to make chocolate coffee ice cream!

11. Brenden says:

Hi Chrissy,

Thanks for finally putting this up! My wife is going to be so pumped. Can I leave out the chocolate and just make it “vanilla” ice cream?
    Also if I leave it in the freezer, take it out and not let it soften is that bad? Lastly what kind of ice cream maker do you have?

Thanks so much!

Brenden

• admin says:

Hi Brenden! Hmmm, I have not attempted the “vanilla” yet. I am thinking you may want to add more vanilla and most likely it will be a little bland. I will work on this one and get back to you :) . As for the ice cream maker….not sure off the top of my head…I will have to check when I get home. I got it at Target and it is pretty simple with easy clean up.
      chrissy

12. Heather says:

Because of your post I spontaneously bought an ice cream maker. (I am not spontaneous. I usually plot and plan and price check for weeks, even months or a year!) I have been dairy free for too long, I want ice cream and coconut milk ice cream is in my immediate future.

13. thanks so much for this recipe. I just got an ice cream maker and all the recipes call for sugar, whole milk and heavy cream. I was wondering if I needed all those ingredients to get the right consistency, apparently not! If you experiment any more please post.

thanks!

14. susan says:

Did you use a full fat can of coconut ( solid ) or the low fat ( thick liquid )??

15. Serena says:

How big of a bar of chocolate the giant bar? About how many ounces? Also did you break it up as you added it to the milk? Does the milk need to be heated before you add the chocolate?

• admin says:

Hi Serena,
      I used almost the entire 3.5 oz bar. Just break it into pieces and add coconut milk and put it over med-low heat. You can always add more chocolate if you desire. The coconut milk does not have to be heated first…you can heat it all together.
      Chrissy

16. Pingback: Experimental Cooking « Super Mom on a quest for Suburban Domination

17. Pingback: Two Yummy Kid-Approved Recipes… kale chips and chocolate coconut ice cream « feeding my tribe

18. Patricia says:

I recently made some chocolate ice cream, and found that arrowroot powder REALLY helped with the consistency! Maybe try it out?

19. Keet says:

Oh, wow! I am buying an ice cream maker now. Before I went Paleo my favorite ice cream was Coconut Joy so this is perfect! I’m gonna add some grated organic coconut…Or maybe add dark chocolate chips unmelted into the vanilla coconut milk. Or maybe I’ll… !!!! :)

20. Sally JPA says:

Good stuff! I’ve made something similar several times. I also like to add the peel of an orange to steep in the warming coconut milk in order to make chocolate-orange ice cream. Heaven! I’ve also made a cane-sugar-free version using unsweetened chocolate and pureeing some dates into the mixture. That version was more like frozen pudding, which is pretty damn good!

21. Kristine says:

This was a big hit at our house tonight! We are not paleo but DF and I hate all the added ingredients in most commercial coconut ice creams. So thanks!

I have a question and a request. First, do you know of a coconut milk brand that does not contain guar gum? Both the ones I bought do. Second, a request … please experiment with some fruit ice creams. Strawberry coconut? Banana coconut? I would love to have someone figure out the sweetener issue.

22. Julie says:

YUM! I have some coconut milk to use up…going to try the cocoa powder and stevia…my kids will flip! Thanks!

23. Colleen says:

Our local Costco has the Cusinart Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker on coupon this month – so it’s like less than $23.00 – which meant I had to buy it & try this – most excellent!

I also made one with one can of coconut milk & one cup of fresh fruit from our local farmer’s market (strawberries) – wow … it was nice to have that “ice cream” feeling again without the added preservatives/artificial flavors & colors – thanks for sharing!

24. Pingback: Paleo Birthday Party. « Paleolution

25. Pingback: Blowing Up the Ice-Cream Maker « Paleolution

26. Pingback: Oly Thursday or Team Cindy | CrossFit NYC

27. kelli says:

Would the So Delicious coconut milk work for this?